Holidays entail a lot of preparations, the majority of which is spent on cooking. As Thanksgiving nears, it is vital to practice fire safety in the kitchen. The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) reports that cooking was the leading cause of all residential building fires and injuries from 2014 to 2016. Of these reported fires, forty-seven (47) percent were caused by ignited oil, fat and cooking grease.
As cooking remains the leading cause of home structure fires, ServiceMaster by LoveJoy has prepared some steps on how to properly handle a grease fire to prevent fire accidents this Thanksgiving and all other imminent holidays.
How To Put Out a Grease Fire
Cooking fires are the top cause of residential fires and injuries. Of these fires, the majority begin with oil becoming too hot, boiling and eventually turning from smoke into flames. These are called grease fires, or Class K fires.
Here’s how to put out a grease fire:
How to Clean Up a Grease Fire
Grease fires, while not always causing significant flames or giving off a dark and heavy smoke, can leave an extremely pungent layer of cooking grease on surfaces and appliances which can be difficult to mitigate.
This foul smell can quickly permeate walls, furniture and other items in the surrounding area, so there is a need to have it completely removed by a professional fire damage restoration company. However, some steps can be taken before the experts arrive.
- Cover the kitchen floor with old towels or plastic to prevent more damage from occurring.
- Using a bucket, mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar and a squirt of dishwashing soap per quart of warm water.
- After mixing, submerge a sponge or sponge mop into the solution and wring out excess liquid.
- Gently scrub all affected surfaces including walls, ceilings, countertops and cabinets in a back-and-forth motion. Use a soft brush for grease-covered areas. Do this until the smell is completely removed and surfaces are clean.
- Rinse sponge after scrubbing and throw the used water out. Fill the bucket with clean, warm water.
- Remove the plastic or old towels used to cover the floor. Give the floor a good scrubbing.
- Completely dry all surfaces and wait for the professionals to arrive. Use a fresh coat of paint to cover persistent stains; however, this step must not be done if all odors haven’t been completely removed.
Contact ServiceMaster by Lovejoy, Expert Fire Damage Restoration Professionals in Georgia
Contact ServiceMaster by LoveJoy at (678) 293-0297 for Conyers, Georgia and (770) 983-6665 for Roswell, Georgia in the event of a fire. You may also connect with us online to schedule an appointment. Our wide range of fire damage restoration services include residential and commercial fire repair services, smoke and soot removal, and content cleaning.
We cater to clients in:
Our goal is to exceed your expectations and we guarantee your satisfaction. Don’t know what to do next? We do. Give us a call today!