Water damage is increasingly common and it’s one of the reasons why home insurance rates are what they are today. Weather can be crazy and unpredictable, but you can take precautions now to minimize the chance your home will sustain water damage from flooding or broken pipes and leaks. When water damage occurs immediately call your one stop solution company at ServiceMaster by LoveJoy.
So here are 10 best ways to protect your home and establishment from water damage:
1. While ServiceMaster by LoveJoy is checking water damaged tile, have them look at the sump-pit and sump pump to ensure they’re working correctly and not blocked.
2. Utilize the plumbing services at ServiceMaster by LoveJoy to install a backwater valve. A backwater valve is a device that stops water and sewage from coming back into the house during times of heavy rainfall. A backwater valve should be maintained annually.
3. Consider investing in water leak sensors and alarms that alert you to possible leaks in the home; some of the more sophisticated models will even turn off the water coming into the house if a problem is detected.
4. Keep your floor drains clear of obstructions.
5. Seal cracks around windows and in the basement foundation and floors.
6. Protect your AC / Heating HVAC system; if possible have a professional elevate the furnace and hot water tank so that it’s not sitting on the basement floor.
7. Consider installing shelves in the basement to keep items off the floor. Also, avoid keeping valuables and important documents in the basement; store them upstairs where they are less likely to be damaged.
8. Don’t pour fats, oils, and grease down your drains; they may solidify and contribute to a clogged pipe—the last thing you need when your system is under distress from a storm!
9. During heavy rainfalls, minimize your home water use.
10. Inspect your roof. After all, your roof is constantly exposed to sunlight and precipitation. If it begins to deteriorate, roof leaks can develop without you noticing. But you can stay ahead of water damage by inspecting your roof regularly especially after big storms.
Now that you know how to protect your home from water damage, all you’ll need to worry about during the next heavy rain is remembering your umbrella on the way out the door. Need professional water damage restoration service in Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Decatur, Stockbridge, Conyers, McDonough, Stone Mountain, Covington, Social Circle, and Dekalb County? Check out our page for services we offer at ServiceMaster by LoveJoy or contact ServiceMaster by LoveJoy at 678-293-0297 for all your water damage restoration and repair needs.